Posted at Oct 6, 2011 2:52 am in author, chocolate, Halloween, Miscellany, Patty Blount, phobia, scare
Yeah, yeah, I know that saying is ‘scare the crap out of me’ but chocolate is a much nicer visual, yes?
Well, here we are in October again. Another year is just about over. As we get closer to Halloween, I thought it might be fun to talk about scares. Not the tragic ones that come with 3 AM phone calls about something bad… I mean the scares, the things that raise the hair on our necks, the goose bumps on our skin, and the beat of our hearts.
- Loud Noises – I am a jolter. A car back fires. A coworker sneezes. A dish falls. A firecracker explodes. Any sudden noise makes me launch off my seat into orbit. Sadly, it typically ends with some muscle pulled and then I’m on pain killers for a week.
- Ghost Stories – I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with a good ghost story. There’s an old movie called The Entity with Barbara Hershey that FREAKED ME OUT. Paranormal Activity was decent, too, though I have not seen the sequel.
- Sea food. I’m not kidding, I can’t look at anything with claws or suction cups. Sushi? No way. Calamari, scungilli? I’m out the door. Long running joke in my world: “Patty only eats fish that says Starkist or Pepperidge Farm on the label.”
- and as of today – Elevators. My office building is in the middle of an elevator renovation. I stepped into one beside one currently being serviced. That’s why I wasn’t immediately concerned when I heard it groan like a cheap hooker. But when it lurched sideways, knocking me into the wall, I am not ashamed to tell you I cried for Mommy.
- Stairs – which is kind of ironic, given my newly discovered issue with elevators. But, yes, I am deathly frightened of stairs with open backs. If I can see through as I climb, I feel like I will fall through.
- No chocolate. Like EVER. Twice in my life, a doctor has told me to stop eating chocolate – once for migraines and again for pre-diabetes. The migraine threat did not stop me. But the pre-diabetes? That stopped me. I’ve gone from chocolate every day to chocolate once a week or so, depending on what’s going on. But whenever I think of never, ever, eating another piece of the luscious dark stuff again, I lose the will to live.
- Steve Buscemi – I have no idea why.
What scares you? Come on, spill! I showed you mine, now show me yours.